You’re going to need to make more room on your blooming indie-pop playlist for these guys. Sometimes a buzz band earns its keep. Such is the case with overlord’s (no, not a stoner metal band) full-length CD, In Soviet Russia, My Heart Breaks You, which refines and expands upon the cheerily-depressed power-pop of George Pasles’ excited creativity. The group’s defining sounds remain in George Pasles’ vocals (melodic and layered) and hook-filled melodies, as well as their DIY self production leans to a narrow, nearly monophonic soundstage that provides the punch of great AM pop. Pasles’ songs of broken hearts, retribution-laced screeds, and the occasional grasp of self-awareness are just the sort of ‘skip even though you’re sad’ songs that power pop legends are made of.
You can pre-order In Soviet Russia, My Heart Breaks You here.
This week we have Mr. Pasles himself answer the world famous Kuestionnaire as he mentions a favorite local band with probably one of the best band names ever. Enjoy!
1. Could you state your name and what you do in the band?
George Andrew Pasles, guitarist/singer – overlord
2. How would you describe your sound?
Indie pop, with a twist of pissed
3. What is your favorite local band?
the now sadly defunct Claymation Velociraptor
4. Any concerts that blew your mind recently?
See (#3). Their farewell concert made me scream until I was mute.
5. Any non-musical influences you would like to mention?
David Lynch, Philip K. Dick, Jack Kirby, Kurt Vonnegut, Todd Solandz
6. If your music was to be the theme of a film/TV show, what would it be?
Suburban Honkey: The Untold Stories of George Andrew Pasles
7. What musician/artist would you like to collaborate with for a day?
The late Roy Orbison.
8. What is the album you listen to on a cold rainy day?
Morrissey’s Vauxhall and I, regardless of the meteorological conditions
9. List four songs you would listen to on a roadtrip?
Beggar’s Banquet by the Stones, on shuffle
10. Where do you see yourselves in 7 years?
Hunched over a laptop and/or dead
11. What is the last book you read?
The Trial of Henry Kissinger (Hitchens)
12. Is image a factor in music or is it a waste of time?
There’s no way around it, and it’s still a waste of time.
13. Any embarrassing moments on stage you would like to share?
Every moment on stage is embarrassing.
14. Any favorite tour locations?
Lost in San Diego
15. Lastly, what is your present state of mind?