When it comes to genuine local creativity, Oakland based duo James & Evander understand and recognize it and try to build upon it with their own brand of expression. That is exactly what they have done with their latest EP, Songs We Wish We Wrote You Vol. 2. The EP is filled with uniquely crafted remixes of mainstreamers like Michael Jackson and Jon Brion as well as local favorites Man/Miracle and Silian Rail. With a new full length planned for July, James & Evander are preparing themselves to be yet another break out act from the Bay Area.
You can catch James & Evander’s release party/show tonight (Tuesday May 25th) at the Space Gallery in San Fransisco along with Summer of Glaciers and Austin Fraser (of Butterfly Bones). Just dish out $5 at the door and enjoy yourself.
This week have both James & Evander answering the Kuestionnaire just before their anticipated release show.
1. Could you state your name and what you do in the band?
Adam: Keyboards, guitar, drums, programming
Glenn: Keyboards, percussion, programming
2. How would you describe your sound?
Like Basement Jaxx if they were from Oakland and really into Dntel, Tortoise, Q. Lazzarus, and select Third Eye Blind songs.
3. What is your favorite local band?
Adam: Tall Grass
4. Any concerts that blew your mind recently?
Adam: Matias Aguayo @ The Elbo Room, SF
Glenn: Bobby McFerrin @ Nob Hill Masonic Center, SF
5. Any non-musical influences you would like to mention?
Weed, Piedmont Cemetery, Genova Sandwiches, the East Bay.
6. If your music was to be the theme of a film/TV show, what would it be?
Adam: Perfect Strangers, or a teen mellow-drama.
Glenn: What was that MTV Spring Break show where it just showed people dancing?
7. What musician/artist would you like to collaborate with for a day?
Adam: Tim Hecker
8. What is the album you listen to on a cold rainy day?
Adam: Hymie’s Basement – s/t
Glenn: M83 – Digital Shades Vol. 1
9. List four songs you would listen to on a roadtrip?
Mocky “Birds of a Feather”
Wilco “Red Eyed and Blue”
B. Hamilton “Common Pets”
10. Where do you see yourselves in 7 years?
Adam: What happens after 2012?
Glenn: In the newly founded Republic of California after we succeed from the union!
11. What is the last book you read?
Adam: The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett
Glenn: Seeing Is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees by Lawrence Weschler
12. Is image a factor in music or is it a waste of time?
Its probably more of a factor than we’re willing to admit, but we’ll just keep ignoring it for now.
13. Any embarrassing moments on stage you would like to share?
Every moment on stage is embarrassing that’s why most bands drink.
14. Any favorite tour locations?
We’ll let you know!
15. Lastly, what is your present state of mind?
Adam: Confused (Why am I wearing long johns in May!?)
Glenn: Ready for some coffee (I’m filling this out at 8 in the morning).
[mp3]Skee Lo – I Wish (James and Evander Remix) from Songs We Wish We Wrote You, Vol. 2 (2010)
[mp3] Man/Miracle – Back of the Card (James and Evander Remix) from Songs We Wish We Wrote You, Vol. 2 (2010)